Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Mystical Faries at www.kathysart.com



Pixie Faries; Mystical Faries; Elves in Folklore and Myths

I stood outside the doorway
looking down the path
I thought of the box
set out on my table.
I had not opened it as yet.


I stood there feeling the sun
warm measures of new days met my name.
I had picked flowers earlier in the day
defined their unspoken pleasure
set them in vases with branches from trees...
trees I do not know the name of.

I thought of the box
pixie faries
mystical faries
all those elves in folklore and myths.
I thought of the box
ribbons of gold
tape keeping it well sealed
the contents inside
feeling most alone.

I had just returned
the mountains of Africa
had been my pathway.
I met the stride with optimism
and hope.
I had known an adventure
I would never be the same.

What would all the mystical faries say?
I had not mentioned them before
not out loud.

Now...
I stood in the doorway
back home again
wondering about them.
Wondering about myself
if I would ever be able to sing
all those old tunes again.
I would always cherish their lyrics
their melody had been my comfort
my enemy
my confusion at times.
Pixie faries
mystical faries
did they understand?
Had they been patient?
Did they wait for me?
I had known them so well
once long ago.
My childhood held out for fantasy.
I left them there though
somewhere on the path to adulthood.

I long to charm them again.
I hope they will accept my fragile promise
said when I was young.
I would always love them
remember elves in folklore and myth
see fantasy in the flowers
climb trees and see far beyond the grove.

I turned back toward the contents of the box
it sits beneath a vase of roses
on a table inscribed with Chinese drawings.
I left my necklace made of seeds there
purchased for remembrance
the mountains of Africa forever at my call.
A book of Rumi
pages open
setting a stage for sentiments
and understanding.
I walked inside the room
picked up the box.
I looked up sensing a presence
and there you stood
holding the ribbons
already knowing
what was inside.

by Kathy Ostman-Magnusen

www.kathysart.com

No comments: