Sunday, September 03, 2006



"They're Friends You Know"
24x48 oil, gold leaf on canvas


"Don't Be Intimidated At Art Openings, Bring CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES and Wear a Big Smile RECIPE Incl."

Joining an art group can be intimidating.....

I used to attend art openings, walk in, see my art on the walls and then walk out. I barely took time to see the other faces attending much less say hello and introduce myself, I was that shy. One day I read in the newspaper that one of the local art clubs was hosting an art marketing workshop and it was free... no excuses not to go. The morning of the workshop I read from "The Four Agreements Companion" by Miguel Ruiz. If you have not read "The Four Agreements", wow, pick it up at your local book store, it is fantastic and could be life changing for you. I came across a section that for the most part could be considered common sense, but for me at that moment resonated. The chapter spoke about the fact that our personalities are formed by 'others' when we are young and we often accept the role given to us and respond to life according to that definition. The words resonated because I realized that the people at the art marketing workshop had no idea who we I was or what defined me. I could be an axe murderer or an ex beauty queen for all they knew. So why, why let myself be pined down with the personality and limitations accepted since childhood? WHY? The obvious answer is NO reason. You know how some things for some reason just hits you and you relate so much that it becomes you? That is what happened that morning before the art marketing workshop. I decided that not only would I go to the art marketing workshop but that I would be amazingly friendly. I would introduce myself to at least ten people and I would open my mouth and figure out at least two questions to ask.. I DID! and the confidence I gained from that experience was phenomenal. I allowed myself to shine. I then found out when the next board meeting was for that art club and the other one in town that up to that point had intimidated me. When I went to the board meetings, keeping in mind that no one knew me and had no idea of my insecurities, I volunteered for just about everything. There is nothing like working together that encourages a friendship more. I also brought my 'now famous' "Kathy's Chocolate Chip Cookies" to every opening. I displayed them beautifully, after all this was an 'art' opening. People began to know me for my constant smile and friendliness and my cookies. After time I actually became President of one club and served on the board of the other. Who I am is now less defined by who my parents or sisters or old high school memories did. I am now more who I decide to be. So! Don't be intimidated! Go to the next art opening or art club or whatever else intimidates you and be who you know deep down you really are.

Here is my cookie recipe for a little extra confidence:

Kathy's Chocolate Chip Cookies

Cream together: 1 cup 'real' butter (not margarine!), 1 1/2 cup sugar, 1 1/2 Tbl. black strap molasses, 1 tsp. salt

add and blend two eggs

don't overdo this part or your cookies will turn out weird.

sift together then fold into sugar mixture:

2 1/2 cups flour, 1 tsp. baking soda

add and mix to above mixture:

1 cup coconut, 3/4 cup old fashioned oatmeal, 2 full cups chocolate chips

Bake at 325 degrees for about 12 minutes. Use only an old junkie cookie sheet... not one of the new ones, they tend to make these cookies cake. Take the cookies out 'just a hair BEFORE they are done'. Let them finish up after they come out of the oven.

That's it! So wear a big smile, introduce yourself and tell them who made the cookies!

Kathy

No comments: